Sunday, September 4, 2016

Kicking it off... and we have to start with a vision!

As a new Executive Director, I am often finding myself with so much to say (to keep us (and myself) grounded, to share good news, and to make sure we're focusing on the larger picture each day in the work we do with kids across East Kentucky). At the same time, I don't want to send another e-mail to clutter up an inbox or *shutter* it goes directly to someone's trash without reading it.

So, with that in mind, I am starting my own blog to share my thoughts. My first real blog will be coming out soon and I would like to prime it. At Teach For America-Appalachia, one our of main priotities is to make sure we're continually elevating the voices of people doing great work in Appalachia. Given a recent experience I had with a dear friend (which you will read about), I feel even more strongly that I need to share the great things happening around the region to continue to shift the predominant narrative of Appalachia. It's going to be great. It's going to be hard. It's going to be vulnerable.

While I want this to be a place where I orginically share my thoughts, I also need structure and topics to write about. Therefore, here is a list of things you should stay tuned in for (and also feel free to propose some topics too):

1) What does it mean to grow up in Appalachia?
2) What is culturally responsive pedagogy and why is it important in Appalachian classrooms?
3) What are examples of success in our region that the rest of the state and country should be envious about?
4) What does it mean to manage a non-profit attempting to disrupt systems of oppression?

So, here it goes: I am making a commitment to update this every other week. I hope this becomes a routine with a regular cadence in my life. As a leader, it is my responsibility to engage a myriad of people in the work we're doing in the region and this will be just one of the tools as my disposal. I'm glad you'll be on this journey with me.

-Josh

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Josh!

    I have boarded the train. I am ready to learn with you.

    EDIT:

    I just now had an opportunity to read your first blog post, so I apologize for the delay in responding to your initial post.

    As with any aspect associated with introducing a new concept in an educational field, it is critical that a vision or framework is established. Without any doubt, your post does a fantastic job outlining your intentions of using the blog throughout the semester and the rest of your life. It is especially note-worthy to acknowledge that your experiences with "Teach for America - Appalachia" are a major driving factor for your inspiration to craft new, original blog posts. Since Appalachia is still considered to have the lowest socioeconomic status per person per capita (and as a resident in the area), I think that is is amazing that I will be hearing about how technology will be used to make the region a much better place.

    I also love the fact that your blog is already being written for a general audience in mind rather than writing for others who are taking this course.

    Excellent initial post, Mr. Sparks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the culturally responsive pedagogy and look forward to your thoughts there as I personally still have a lot to learn on that front. In terms of suggestions, I'd be interested in your thoughts on a number of things, but perhaps related to above is something around balancing local/global instruction within the context of struggling communities. I'm really excited for this. I hope it winds up as a great outlet for you!

    ReplyDelete